How to Apply for a
Work Permit in the U.S.

A work permit is an authorization from a country’s government that allows a non-citizen to work legally in that country. Applying for a U.S. work permit (also known as Employment Authorization Document or EAD) is a fairly simple process.

First, you will need to prove you are eligible by filling out a one-page form as well as attaching the fee, photos and other required documents. Next, you must submit it to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Keep in mind that a work permit and a work visa are not the same and require two totally different application processes. Applying for a work visa to the United States, ­such as an H-1B, is a much more complicated process than obtaining a work permit.

You are a K-1 fiancé visa holder or you have been granted asylum.
You have a pending application for adjustment of status (a green card)
You have been granted Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) or Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
You are an F-1 student experiencing economic difficulty or applying for optional practical training (OPT)

Contact Immigration Lawyer Alice Antonovsky for:

  • Work Permits
  • Marriage Based Immigration
  • Deferred Action for Childhood arrivals (DACA)
  • Employment Based Immigration
  • Citizenship and Naturalization
  • Temporary Protected Status
  • Asylum
  • National Interest Waiver Visa
  • Family Reunification

3 Things You Need to Know
About Obtaining a Work Permit

A work permit is only valid for a specific group of immigrants, usually those who are in the process of applying for adjustment of status (a green card).
A work permit is also available for those people who have a temporary right of some kind to be in the U.S.
I-765 is the form used to apply for a work permit and is available for free download on the USCIS website.
Learn all you need to know about obtaining a work permit with the guidance of expert Immigration Attorney Alice Antonovsky.
Key Facts About Work Permits
In the first six years of the Obama administration, about one million illegal immigrants received work permits, as reported by the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS).
According to CIS, of the 5.5 million work permits issued to noncitizens from 2009 to 2014, close to one million were awarded to illegal immigrants or “aliens unqualified for admission” to the U.S.
The report also states that another 1.7 million work permits were awarded to people whose status was unknown, not recorded by the adjudicator or not disclosed by USCIS.
  • Marina K.
    I hired Law Offices of Alice Antonovsky, when I…
  • Ivan M.
    English is not my first language, so it was…
  • Martin G.
    So many applications, I didn’t know what to…
Designed by CreativeWorks, Pocono and Lehigh Valley Web Design Agency

Home > How to apply for a work permit